Monday, September 5, 2011

http://osakabentures.com/2011/09/soci...

http://osakabentures.com/2011/09/social-media-makers-featured/

Social Media Makers Tribe Showcased
Posted by OsakaSaul on September 5, 2011 in English | Leave a comment

(But not in a good way.)
Lambasted, actually!
Its fun getting people to come around and love Triberr like we do, though.

I found this gem, by one of the great bloggers disgruntled by a rejection or two when applying to join Triberr tribes. For this most thoughtful post, entitled “The Dark Side Of Social Media.” Triberr’s Dan Cristo and I replied to this paragraph in particular:

“…My latest gripe with social media is epitomized by the website Triberr. The website calls itself “The Reach Multiplier” which sounds great in theory. Who doesn’t want more reach for their blog? I blog about things I find important, and while I don’t think I’m a genius or deserve recognition, I do believe that I have educated and valid opinions. If I have the opportunity to get more people to read my blog, I’m going to be intrigued. That’s what got me onto Triberr in the first place. Then I actually figured out what the website does: it is a cleverly disguised spam-a-tron that breeds exclusivity and blog snobs (blobs?)…“

Josh was good enough to include a screenshot (outdated, shows us when we had just a few less members than now, and 400K less reach, but that’s okay) of Social Media Makers:

My reply, in a comment on Josh’s blog should shed light on a thoughtful stance we should extend to fellow tribespeople and those not yet in Triberr, alike:

Perhaps I am the “Blob” / “Blog Snob” / “Pretentious Ass” you refer to? Your screenshot shows my @Triberr tribe, Social Media Makers after all – back when it had 2/3 the reach it does now. That tribe, by the way, is far, far more selective than it was when you took that screenshot. We protect what we have. As Dan Cristo gave example, they are ways of syndicating your blog where you may ‘enjoy’ what comes of a lack of focus or selectivity.
Few bloggers have a strategy or the tools for promotion of their blog.
What’s more, bloggers seek to network, but are usually shouting into the wind.
I help people get heard and get people networking with them: through blogs, Twitter, and cross-promotion.

Few people understand the gamut of Triberr dynamics. Kindly consider that when I include a blogger in a small blog cross-syndication tribe, I need to consider my responsibility – to the 20+ bloggers whose Twitter timelines will also carry the “new guy’s” blog article tweets. I run a tight ship – but that’s why my tribes are the kind you’d like: they are not an “anything goes” deal, but rather, focused. So, sure, I insist on speaking with applicants, and yes, I am discerning and selective.

Social Media Makers: one of the closest-knit tribes in Triberr
We were the first tribe to reach 500K, the first to reach 1M, and will be the first to reach 2 million as well. I continue to firmly believe in speaking with applicants and actual problem resolution; others do it all with a “click.”

This has absolutely nothing to do with “superiority.” This is a misconception, and one that is shared by some other Triberr non-fans – in case that helps you.

On the hand, while I cannot offer entry to any of my tribes to all comers, I am the ONE GUY using Triberr who gladly helps may bloggers enter Triberr in a prudent, optimized fashion – even when, as is typically the case, I simply do not have a perfect fit for them with my own tribes. As Dino Dogan (besides Dan, the other Triberr partner) says, (paraphrasing) “[the mistake people tend to make is searching for the tribe where they'll get the most; you'll do better finding the tribe where you bring the most value to those already in it.] I’ll stand by that. I still help people do that.

A final thought for you: let’s pretend you SKYPE osakasaul and ask me about each and every concern or problem you see with Triberr, and take my answers, peruse evidence to support my stance on this and that and then decide you now want to join. Let’s say you join a tribe with 5 existing members. This would be easy; your writing is excellent, analyses thoughtful… you would have your pick. In this make-believe scenario, the “Chief” is not me, let’s pretend. (You like how he added you with a single “click.” None of my idiotic talking to people is a “good thing,” eh…?)

Okay, but it doesn’t end with your joining. Who will the Chief of the tribe you joined add – from now…? Have you spoken with him? Are you sure you need not be concerned with what his plans are? Is he a sell-out for high Twitter following? (MOST chiefs make this mistake: a knee-jerk decision to accept a blogger imply because he has many Twitter followers.) From the choices they make, I do see that many a Triberr Chief is unengaged, unlistening, and you simply do not know what he is going to do with the tribe – or with you.

Is that actually better than the guy who looks at your blog, listens to you and your concerns – and if he has a lot for you, tells you the good, the bad, the need-to-know stuff and then, only if all that is acceptable to you and I, do I send you an invite? Wouldn’t you rather be in a tribe with bloggers who have joined on that basis?

Be sure to look at what we’re about, and why you’d want to in, how to get in, how to select tribe(s) to apply to. This is a three part series I recently wrote, on Triberr – not as a partner, and thus totally unbiased, and quick to idetify and help people navigate around the least desirable aspects of the otherwise fabulous Triberr:

Ranking & Reaching 1/3: Blog Cross-Promotion
Ranking & Reaching 2/3: Your Ideal Tribe
Ranking & Reaching 3/3: About My Tribes