Thursday, September 15, 2011

http://osakabentures.com/2011/09/trib...

http://osakabentures.com/2011/09/triberr-the-right-to-use-manual-and-the-problem/

Triberr: the Right to - Abuse of - the Manual Setting

In reply to Makobi Scribe’s firm stance on why the manual mode in Triberr is cure-all, I commented with a very different stance, based on my own experience. This is about blog cross-promotion, .rss syndication, and running a Triberr tribe right.
Excerpt of her post

“I run a forum with some odd 150ish people in it. A lot of us are in the same Triberr group. Outside of that my reach is over 2.5 million so I have heard my fair share of gripes. Here is my response for all those gripes you have, may have, or have had.

Gripe: Someone is not tweeting my stuff.
Gripe: Too many tweets are going out in my twitter stream.
Gripe: I tweeted so and so’s post, but they didn’t tweet mine.
Gripe: There are too many coupons and reviews and giveaways going out.
Gripe: I am tired of tweeting the same posts and opportunities over and over.
Answer: Bummer, put them on manual if it bothers you.

Put them on manual if it bothers you. when people signed up to be on Triberr they did not sign a contract to give you control of their stream. It is THEIR prerogative what they want THEIR audience to read. Put them on manual if it bothers you. Don’t complain, don’t gripe, don’t get all drama over it. Just put them on manual if it bothers you.”
My reply, in comment on her blog

Point noted, and with respect for what you have surely done with Triberr, may I note that the manual setting is problematic.

I, too, have developed tribes, a couple of which are rather prominent and have attracted some rather influential people in media. I provide insights in my very recent http://osakabentures.com/2011/08/ranking-reaching-about-my-tribes which I think you and readers will find enlightening.

The manual setting: let's acknowledge the responsibilities - along with the right to this option.

With manual, members demonstrate their lack of confidence in each others’ blog content, overall. Too much of that, and members on auto begin to think, “why I am going to tweet all of hers’ – when she tweets not one in five of mine?” As I see it, that’s where the tribe you have built begins to fall apart.

As food for thought, from the start, one of the first “power tribes,” launched and recruited for by Dino Dogan, himself, demonstrates his own impatience with the manual setting. From the tribe’s (current to today’s date) description:
Anubis Members: 34 Reach: 433,396 people
“Anubis is a Supertribe. We comment on each other’s blogs and we automatically retweet each other’s posts (no manual mode here.)”

“Hmm…?”

To conclude, while I have problems with the manual mode, as I see it, if you select members very well, here should be nearly no need for it. I, for one, am only on manual in two tribes that I was happy to join – until I discovered that the Chief takes nearly anyone with a big Twitter following. Sometimes you discover these things in time.

For what it worth, I am tweeting this article of yours, having edited – as is our prerogative in Triberr – to “Got a gripe about Triberr? For this Chief, manual mode is a cure-all.”

Blog

Whatever to do with “Today’s Levitation”
Triberr Tripping 1/2
The First Triberr Unauthorised All-Day Online Party